Friday, June 17, 2011

Rough Night

We sang songs on the radio for the drive.  When we arrived at my grandchildren's home,  I went straight for Joaquin and sat on the couch.  They all wanted to hold the baby.  I gave them each a turn. 

The kids being typical kids wanted this,  that,  and the other thing. They were bouncing off the walls.  Donna Marie was a little overwhelmed. Now in the past I would let her handle it, but at this point I didn't know what I should do first without ticking Donna Marie off.

It was bath time.  She gave the first one to Jackson and then went to Olivia.  That is when the incident happened.  I was downstairs with Josiah and Joaquin and I hear "really ".  Somehow there was an " accident" in the middle of the hall.  I told Josiah do not go upstairs. I would go instead into the lion's den.

I went upstairs.  It was very quiet. There was a stain on the floor in the hallway. Donna Marie was tiger fast.  She had managed to clean most of the mess and put Jackson in his crib. I head to Olivia's room and see Donna Marie getting her ready for bed. 

Olivia was being chatting and taking her time getting her clothes on for bed.   Donna Marie looked a little stressed out. I looked around to see what  could do for her.  I  suggested  I would finish getting Olivia dressed for bed and Donna Marie could get Josiah started on the bath.

Josiah being a 5 year old wanted to play and I could see her patiences get lower and lower.  I gently told her I would take over and for her to go downstairs.  She quietly left. 

It was pretty cool. It had been a long time since I gave a bath to a little angel. He played while I washed him up.  I got him dressed and then it was time to brush teeth.

Olivia wanted her mommy to brush her teeth.  Before Donna Marie could answer, I said I would.  I brushed their  teeth to the tune of Yankee Doodle.  They thought that was so funny.Donna Marie takes this opportunity to finish cleaning the stain. Her bane at this moment.

At last, it was time for prayers and bed. Since I was there,  they didn't want to go.   I came downstairs to let her handle that part.   It was a little struggle for her. 

I come over to where Joaquin is and he starts to stir and then he cries.  A hungry cry.  I sigh.  I was hoping Donna Marie would have at least a few minutes of quiet.  I pick this little morsal and wait for his mommy to come down and feed him.

I try to soothe him. He drifts off to sleep again.  She hurries to close the windows and turn the air on.  She settles on the couch.  All the angels are tucked in bed and one getting ready to eat.  So I take my cue to leave. Donna Marie smiles a tired smile.  At least, I leave on a quiet note.

It was a long day.  As I walk to my car, I see someone peek through the bedroom window.  It was Olivia, the little rascal.

I waved goodbye and throw her a kiss.  I told myself I will see you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You have your hands full as a grandma! What an exhausting great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grumpy Grateful Mom - Thanks for stopping by!!

    You are not kidding. I love being with them but I am sure tired at the end of the night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I do enjoy reading your thoughts :)